Friday, December 5, 2008

EMT C#7, practice & a new family member joins in!

Practice is going just fine, the old fingers are starting to callus nicely. :-) Again, since Sarge deciphered my problem, the practice has just been outstanding, and I just can't get enough! Speaking of practice, you should check this post out by Sarge on that very subject: 13 Tips To Get A Better Practice Routine I bookmarked it, and let me tell you, this advice that Sarge gives is just pure gold. If you are struggling with your practice, or are looking to review it, and see what can be done better, I highly suggest you read this.

The wife asked me yesterday about playing the keyboards. It has been something she has always wanted to learn, and seeing as I was learning the guitar, and she has been getting inspired by my progress, and she likes the format of the RHM products, we decided to get her the lessons:

The Keyboard I am getting for her is:
She is really excited about getting started, and I am just overjoyed for her, this will be great for her, and I am going to be right beside her to support her along the way...

Besides that good news, she is also going to be posting here to chart her progress on the Keyboards, and we are going to film videos of her practice sessions as well, in the hopes of inspiring others to take up the keyboard! So now we have two journey's to watch over soon.

And if that weren't enough... My 5 year old has been barking daily about playing the drums! So I finally gave in, and told her that early next year, I will get her:
And let her start banging away! She insists on having a video like Daddy, and now that Mommy is getting her own DVD's, and a "piano", she wants more than ever to play the drums. So how can I resist? One more journey to follow here, one more set of videos to post on her progress. I tell ya, with 3 total, this blog is going to get pretty busy indeed!

I think it will be good to let RHM set her up with the basics, and give her something to watch. I can always guide her along with the DVD, and lead her in the right direction. Then when we reach the end of the lessons, I can pick up from there, and teach her whatever needs to be absorbed to get her on her own. (minus the R&R lifestyle that I am better at then the instrument! LOL)

My family getting really excited about learning instruments of their own has just flooded me with motivation. My desire not only to strive on with the guitar, but to be there for my wife and children as they reach out for their dreams has just made this journey all the more worth it.

I have to give out yet another big Thank You to John McCarthy for his excellent teaching skills, and to Sarge for his "remote teaching & support". Going with The Rock House Method was a decision that changed not only my life, but the lives of family as well. You two are men of exceeding character, and it is an honor to learn under both of you.

*There is a growing thought in the back of my mind that I might gently guide my 3 yr. old towards an interest in the Bass. There could be something in the wind for a family whose members comprise an entire band! But what to do with my 2yr. old, and the 4 mo. old? Rhythm guitar? Vocals? Fiddle? A wind instrument?

Edly's Music Theory Chapter 7 was on "Chord Inversion".

I have been dealing with chords in the "root position" (The lowest note in the chord) But now we are transposing (moving) the lowest note up an octave, and by changing the order, it is inverted.
  • Chord progressions sound better with root position chords mixed with inverted chords.
  • Inversion makes the chord easier to reach.
  • A chord-tone is simply a note in a chord.
There were several charts and examples that dealt with inversion, determining the root and chord type for unknown chords, chord-tone doubling, and using inverted chords for smoother voice-leading.

Yet another chapter I will re-read like the rest before moving on.

And speaking of Guitar, Keyboards, and Drums being a family affair...

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP